Until you can breathe freely again

Last night, a very brave person reached out on Facebook and I realized that she has been wrestling with depression. My heart goes out to her and others I know who are dealing with this very palpable, persistent pathosis.

I've been sick for about two weeks. It started innocently enough, with a few little symptoms like a sore throat and some sniffling. But by now a big, nasty cough has taken residence in my chest and seems to be very comfortable there, with no intent on moving out. Early this morning, as I sat in the bathroom and coughed so hard I wretched and thought I may very well vomit, I wondered if this is just who I am now. Someone who may never sleep through the night again because I have become the landlord of the most annoyingly persistent tenant.

You get sick, and you go to the doctor. What do they tell you? How important it is to get a good night's sleep. I've been taking cough syrup to help me be drowsy and sleep through the night, but it's no use. My aggravating new resident wakes me up, regardless. It's very frustrating to know that a good night's sleep will help but the reason I need one is the reason I can't get one. Some nights, as I cough until I feel it would be impossible to catch enough breath to cough yet again, I cringe to hear I've woken the baby, who has a little cold of her own.

This reminds me a little of how it is to have depression. You may wonder if this is just who you are, now. You may think that someday you'll be better, but not knowing when and how much longer you have to go through this makes you feel terribly discouraged. Maybe those therapy sessions or those anti-depressants work like that nasty-flavored cough drop, which helps quell the cough for a little while, but won't really get rid of it.

To get over a cold like this, and to get through depression like that, you need time. Even now, years after I have healed from the depression and anxiety I experienced, I still find little holes in the walls to fill in from when depression resided within.

I like to think of depression as a disease. It makes it feel more legitimate to me. Even with how real and crippling I know it to be, the powerful stigma still affects how I think about it. But I was surprised when a friend boldly stated that depression is not a disease. It is not something that can always be treated so medically and objectively in every case. I loved his perspective on the psychic pain which is depression.

I know what that cough feels like, my friend. One day you will breathe freely again. Until then, I want you to know that there are so many that struggle with depression. Many do so silently. Thank you for reaching out, and know that you are absolutely not alone.

Comments

  1. If you get a fever, go to a doctor immediately. Pneumonia and walking pneumonia has been going around. In some cases it isn't just time that heals you... you end up in the ICU with lung scar tissue.

    Same thing with depression. It is literally a physical problem with the brain and neurotransmitters. I wish I still had my mental health nursing book to let you borrow and read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to clarify: personally for me, therapy and doctor's visits and anti-depressants did have a role in helping with my healing process. But what helped me the most was time, love, and the Atoning power of Jesus Christ. I don't mean to belittle professionals who do an amazing job helping people heal from emotional and mental pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've asked myself similar questions about medication, therapy, etc.---is this just a short-term pick-me-up, or is it really doing something to help with the underlying issues? Your comparison to having a cold is interesting to consider. Cough drops don't cure a cold even though they almost instantly make your throat feel better. Ultimately it's the natural process of your immune system that heals you. You might feel crappy for a few days, you might not feel like going anywhere, but those things aren't really the problem. In fact they indicate that the immune system is doing its job! Maybe there's a similar mental/emotional "immune system" inside us that works to heal us of mental and emotional wounds? And when we're depressed, it's really that "immune system" doing its job? Just thinking out loud....

    I hope you and baby are feeling better soon! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts