To those who just don't care... it's not about the dress.

I've seen some posts on Facebook saying that some people are sick of all the posts about this dress. (Posting that you are sick of it continues the conversation about it, by the way.) I'm not one to jump on bandwagons. I never did the Ice Bucket Challenge, and I tend to be late (even years late) before buying into fads. However, as I enjoyed the thread of comments after I put "white and gold" as my facebook status, and as I read some buzz feed and news sites about "the dress", I learned a lot. Really, folks, it's not about the dress.

Perspective vs Truth

I think the reason most people were fascinated with the dress was because each of us were so sure about what we saw: either white and gold or black and blue. To realize that others saw the dress differently than we did made us question our own perspective. I found myself doubting others or myself, depending on how much intellectual respect I had for the other person's response. It's strange to think we could experience the world in such a different way, even when we are in the same culture. I was surprised when my husband saw the dress as black and blue. We spend a lot of time together and have similar opinions. How could someone so close to me see something so different? I think it would help us understand others and have more compassion for differing opinions, if we could remember this dress example in other aspects of life. Their actions sprouted from thoughts, and maybe we all think in different ways.

Also, I've thought in the past, what if colors appeared different to all of us? What if the purple I see actually looks orange to someone else, but they still call that orange color purple? How can I possibly ever know how someone else experiences color (or experiences many different things in life), since I cannot see through their eyes?

Universality of Concepts

The way a photograph appears to us is assumed to be universal, which is why when it wasn't, there was such a reaction on the internet. In an Anthropology class in college, we discussed how certain concepts that we believe to be universal may very well not be and may depend on culture or other factors. For example, tribes living in the depths of Africa have cultures which value rites of passage among their youth, like circumcision for pre-teen boys. For many, these rites of passage could be seen as barbaric. How could they force their youth to participate in something so painful? But have we ever considered that their definition of "pain" may differ from ours? Perhaps those African youth do not feel as much pain as we do. Perhaps pain is somewhat cultural or personal and not completely universal. Also, with the concept of love and arranged marriages. We may look over to India or other countries which embrace arranged marriage and wonder, how could they not marry for love? How could they force their children to marry instead of letting them choose? Have we ever considered that love may mean something different to them? That love is a cultural or personal notion, and not something that everyone feels exactly the same about? Something to consider.

How people react

It was fun to see how fast different ideas about the dress sprouted all over the internet. I laughed when I saw, "What does how you saw the dress say about you?" I also read, "It all depends on emotions." and "It all depends on Science." Obviously there are a lot of opinions out there. And those of you who don't care are entitled to your opinion as well! I just enjoyed the feeling of community I had as I realized those who saw things the same or differently from me. That doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong. We are all just different, and it is important to seek to understand those who are different from you.


Comments

  1. Two things come to mind. I recently listened to a podcast by Freakanomics about music. They talked to some researchers about music perception. The researchers had taken some music to a tribal colony somewhere (Africa, I think) and assessed their reaction. Music that to us elicits anxiety/fear/etc (the theme song from Pscyho for example) did nothing for them. Minor melodies that seem sad to us, are all cultural. Interesting.

    The other thing I thought of was a show B and I watched about a week ago about color and perception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try and find it and send you a link. I think you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't this amazing? I remember the first time I realized that the color I see as "red" might not be "red" to anyone else. But that's how I know it. And I'll never know if my perception is unique or right or anything else.

    It changes how you think about other people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts